Pinned on Pinterest… Tested in Therapy

Pinterest Pin #1

(For a look at all Pinterest Test Pins, click here.)

Pin it, Pin, it, Pin it. It’s like a reflex. “Oh, that looks cool… I’ll pin it…”

But then what? I seem to pin a million therapy ideas and then rarely give most of them a second glance.

I can’t be the only one, right?

It’s like I’m hoarding therapy ideas over here, waiting for the moment I’ll actually scroll through them all and filter out the good ones.

Well it’s now or never. I’ve decided to take popular pins that seem to be good for therapy and try them out in the clinic to see how they hold up. I have this issue when I go to continuing education courses and feel as if I get great ideas… until they bomb in the actual clinical setting with kids that might have more to deal with than just a fine motor delay.

I’m interested to see how many of these activities actually end up in my therapy “bag of tricks.”

Test Pin #1

First up, this little gem I found on Pinterest from a website with ideas for working on functional fasteners and self-care tasks (a common goal in the OT world). It’s pretty simple-  practice threading a zipper by using a pipe cleaner:

(Image from therapystreetforkids.com)

This especially caught my eye because threading the zipper has become the bane of my existence for some clients. It seemed like a great way to introduce the concept and build the motor skill while still keeping it “fun” and not frustrating. You know, the qualities of any successful therapy task.

The verdict?

It’s a win.

-It was simple to do. No extra prep time was required (I have a miniscule amount to begin with) and I was able to try it out with my clients with strictly motor delays as well as with some of my clients with severe autism.

-This task also made the concept more concrete, which is always helpful.

-Little hands were better able to manipulate the larger pipe cleaner to thread the hole, which made the task easier to grade down.

-The task was much more motivating, becoming a game more than a dressing task. This leads to a higher number of trials, which in turn leads to faster skill development.

Boom. New treatment idea in the bag.

This entry was posted in Pinterest Test Pins and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Pinned on Pinterest… Tested in Therapy

1. Pingback: Pinned on Pinterest, Tested in Therapy: Test Pin #2 | The Anonymous OT

2. Pingback: Pinned on Pinterest…Tested in Therapy Pin #3 | The Anonymous OT

3. Pingback: Pinned on Pinterest, Tested in Therapy: Test Pin #4 | The Anonymous OT

4. Pingback: When Does a Therapist Have the “Right” Amount of Experience? | The Anonymous OT

5. deb says:

looks good to me I will DEF try this..thnx! LOVE yr site btw…:>)

6. Sara Uhrig says:

Please see One-handedponytail.com for an inexpensive, make in the clinic way to help one-handers secure their hair without drawing attention to their disability. Invented by an OT for an Erb Duchenne palsy patient. please help get the word out. This is an independent way to control your personal temperature and gives autonomy to the patient.

• Sara Uhrig says:

I would be glad to send a free sample of the learning kit, a PowerPoint presentation to the Florida Hand Society and a copy of the article published in the Journal of Hand Therapy. I make these kits at home and would love to be tested!!!! You can buy it or make it yourself, it works with practice and can be graded in many ways. please email for any questions or feedback.

• Sarah, looks like you have a great product! I currently don’t have any clients I might be able to test this with, but I would be interested if I do in the future! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

• Sara Uhrig says:

Thank you and I will send a free sample. Just send a mailing address to sarauhrig@aol.com
        I really desire critical feedback and marketing suggestions . I do not have the patient population either but want product to be data driven by evidence based practice and proven;and to be shared for all to benefit.

• Sara Uhrig says:

Respond to personal email for free sample. even though you do not have a current patient, you can learn the method now for the future and to share. Sara Uhrig

7. debbie says:

Any suggestions for teaching a one handed 2nd grader how to cut with scissors? Thank you.